1 Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996
From: Paco
Subject: re: psychic challenges

Peter,
	My point is, it's just human nature. Animals use a form
of psychic communication, birds fly in unison, whales migrate,
cats hunt using excellent team work etc etc etc.
	Now, I suppose most everybody has some experience of human
nature, so these 'skeptics' are perhaps just being careless with
their use of names and definitions. Even the experiments mentioned
in the PEAR post don't seem exactly "psychic" related, as much as
they are bio-electric phenomena related. Science can, I have heard,
measure some kind of electric current in the nerves and around the
body.
	I think that actually this question of proof cuts extremely
deep. Some writers such as Carlos Castaneda have hinted that "reality"
is actually a subjective illusion, a false perception of limitation.
If someone or something takes you "out" of that "reality" for a
moment, the experience would seem to have to be subjective, yet on
another plane it might somehow be objective.
	So, obviously people interact and/or smack each other with
their psychic energies all day, whether most of them are aware of
it or not; obviously if some guy in Jersey stares at a screen until
his eyes pop out he can influence a magnetic needle to move a millionth
of a centimeter with his bio-electricity...but the "true" "psychic"
or "spiritual" phenomena may be out of reach of "proof" at this point.

	I don't know if you're aware of it, but towards the end of Hume's
great "Treatise on Human Nature", which is an absolute work of the
highest value, upon which much of 19th and 20th century psychology is
based, and to which it owes any "science" it might have...towards the
end of it Hume began to describe a connection between the perceiver
and the object of perception, and in explaining it began to imply
a causal connection between the two; that the perceiver actually controls
or creates what he perceives, somehow, in some way; he kind of leaves
off there for more conventional ground, but it is interesting to
speculate on what he was trying to express. Anyways, this is rambling

	later,
		Paco

2 Date: Fri, 06 Dec 96