1 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996
From: Jim Cook
Subject: Good food for Thanks Giving

Creole Shrimp

-
Categories: Seafood
Yield: 4 servings

-------------------SAUCE-----------
1 cn (15 Oz.) Tomato Puree
1/2 c  Water
3 tb White Vinegar
3 tb Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 ts Hot Sauce
1/2 ts Garlic Powder
1 tb Mustard
1/4 ts Salt
1/3 ts Pepper
2 tb Orange Juice Concentrate
Thawed
3    Packets Equal
12 oz Cooked Shrimp

In Saucepan, Combine Ingredients Except The Equal And Shrimp.Slowly Bring
To Boil, Stirring Occasionally.  Remove From Heat.  Stir in Equal. Add
Shrimp To Sauce And Serve.
Serve Over Rice.

Be sure to visit The Internet Chef often!
http://www.ichef.com

-
2 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996

Subject: drugs and K

I have not had a K awakening and I have only been given the slightest
impression that I have experienced anything to do with K at all.  My friends
all suggest that I take a drug (marijuana, acid, etc.) to help start and/or
enhance the experience for me.

I have never taken drugs (or even smoked a cigarette for that matter) nor do
I drink alcohol.  My feeling about a drug induced experience is that I would
never know if the experience was "real" or not.  Having never tried drugs
nor having a true K experience, how would I know if I was actually
experiencing something related to K or was just on a drug trip?

If the drugs did produce a response, then every time after that I would
never know if the experience was my own.  Somehow in my mind, this feels
like "cheating" and I just can't bring myself to want to do it.  I do not
judge those who do use drugs and I know many people have positive
experiences with them.

I know that I have several blockages that prevent me from really going deep
into myself, and while I do not know how to get through them, I would think
that drugs could only add to the blockages instead of making me free of them.

But then again, perhaps I proceed from a false assumption.

In Service to the Light,

3 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996

Subject: re: Music

I listen to a tape from NASA when I meditate.  It is the digitized sounds of
space taken from the Voyager spacecraft.
-
It's almost like a whale's song, and is very relaxing and truly beautiful.

In Service to the Light,

-
4 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996
From: "B."
Subject: Re: acid/reiki vs K initiation.

Hi ppl

	I am new to this list and I don;t know yet what all topics are
discussed here, but did someone have some experience with peyote
(Mescalito) in the ense Castaneda describes?
-	Can someone tell me also does some firm mail peyote buttons
overseas, namely Bukgaria, and what arre the terms of ordering.
					Thanx
					   B.

                              /
                   __       //
                   -\= \=\ //
                 --=_\=---//=--   -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
               -_==/  \/ //\/--     Borce Gorgievski
-               =/   /O   O\==--  ==================
   _ _ _ _     /_/    \  ]  /--   American University in Bulgaria
  /\ ( (- \    /       ] ] ]==-  -----------------
 (\ _\_\_\-\__/     \  (,_,)--   borceATNOSPAMcos.aubg.bg
(\_/                 \     \-     borceATNOSPAMslin.aubg.bg
\/      /       (   ( \  ] /)    borceATNOSPAMcc.aubg.bg
/      (         \   \_ \./ )   borceATNOSPAMgeocities.com
(       \         \      )  \   ----------------------
(       /\_ _ _ _ /---/ /\_  \  http://www.aubg.bg/~borce
 \     / \     / ____/ /   \  \  http://members.tripod.com/~borce
-  (   /   )   / /  /__ )   (  )   http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6393
  (  )   / __/ '---ATNOSPAM       / /   _______
  \  /   \ \             _/ /
  ] ]     )_\_         /__\/       Every Woman and every Man is a Star
  /_\     ]___\		Liber AL
 (___)

5 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996
From: Steve Elsner
Subject: online energy exchange

	I've been kicking this around for a long time now, but nobody
seemed to pick up on it. However, there now seems to be an interest so I
shall act!
	Any time I am online, I will set up an IRC channel called
#kundalini for all of you to join in a live discussion if you please.
The main purpose in being there would hopefully be to try exchanging
energy.  I have had quite a bit of success with this sort of thing and
would like to experiment some.  Anybody else willing?
	If there is enough interest, I would be happy to set up a regular
meeting time for general discussion and energy exchange... I figure the
list is pretty good for our discussions so a live medium would be best
used to get us kinda "hooked up"
	I've also been kicking around the idea of a website, which would
help facilitate a "web of energy".  Think of it.... group energy can be
quite powerful and anyone who joins would benefit.  Plus, since we would
be physically spread out, the earth would get a nice blanket of energy
flowing about. Any ideas?  Write me!
-
--
Rev. Steve Elsner! HM/SH, 2nd Kyu Shotokan, Reiki
"May all who read these words be healed!"

6 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996
From: BFMH62AATNOSPAMprodigy.com ( KATHY   SHIREY)

Dear All,
I have read with much mixed emotions about drug use and energy in this list
. I  will not go into all the moral and ethical issues around drug use.  I
will say that there is much karma around energy and it's use/misuse.  One
of my life lessons in this life is following the steps - not skipping to
the end to get the results.  I must do the process, when I don't the
universe puts me right back in the beginning, with typically a heavier
burden to bear as I then go through the situation/process again.  Once I
got that message - that I have to do the work - then my life opened up and
though I climb the mountain (as opposed to flying up) I have an easier and
more fulfilling life.  There are many ways to awaken kundalini - there are
many ways to work with energy - how you choose to do so will affect this
life - your next and those around you lives.  Your choice is your freewill
- and there is the Law of Cause and Effect.
Peace profound,
Kathy

-

7 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996
From: "Your friend at:"
Subject: Re: drugs and K

Dear Steven,

	I pray all is well.

-	You are fortunate to not have had experience with intoxication.
In Samadhi K awakening is concomitant.  The path to Samadhi is know as
Astanga yoga.  The first step in Astanga yoga is Yama.  Yama has been
translated for westerners to begin with abstinence from meat-eating,
illicit sex, intoxication and gambling (or speculative misinterpretation).

	Hope you are all having a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Christopher

               __________________
                   "In the minds of those who are too attached
                    to sense enjoyment and material opulences,
                      and who are bewildered by such things,
                the resolute determination for devotional service to
                      the Supreme Lord does not take place."
                          (Bhagavad-gita as it is 2.44)
-                        __

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996,

> I have not had a K awakening and I have only been given the slightest
> impression that I have experienced anything to do with K at all.  My friends
> all suggest that I take a drug (marijuana, acid, etc.) to help start and/or
> enhance the experience for me.
>
> I have never taken drugs (or even smoked a cigarette for that matter) nor do
> I drink alcohol.  My feeling about a drug induced experience is that I would
> never know if the experience was "real" or not.  Having never tried drugs
> nor having a true K experience, how would I know if I was actually
> experiencing something related to K or was just on a drug trip?
>
> If the drugs did produce a response, then every time after that I would
> never know if the experience was my own.  Somehow in my mind, this feels
> like "cheating" and I just can't bring myself to want to do it.  I do not
> judge those who do use drugs and I know many people have positive
> experiences with them.
>
> I know that I have several blockages that prevent me from really going deep
> into myself, and while I do not know how to get through them, I would think
> that drugs could only add to the blockages instead of making me free of them.
>
> But then again, perhaps I proceed from a false assumption.
>
> In Service to the Light,

8 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996
From: redormanATNOSPAMplix.com (Dorman, Robert )
Subject: Re: acid/reiki vs K

FIRST, I apologize for taking this somewhat off-topic discussion to the
K-list, but I must attempt to clear up some misinformation about
buddhism that was posted earlier to the list.  If you aren't interested,
just hit delete.

Xochi Basmati wrote:

> Hello,
>         My info came from the mouth of a no less respected teacher than jack
> Kornfield, one of the leaders of the Insight meditation centers.  Because he
> runs one of the largest meditation Buddhist centers in the US and has spoken
> to many of the teachers about it i believe that his statements have some
> validity.   A poll taken of Buddhist who had used psychedelics (internet
> poll) was 83%.

Internet polls would not necessairly reflect the entire population of
buddhists.  It would not be a representative sample, but only a sample
of  budhist readers of a particular newsgroup or web site where the
"survey" was held.

> Tricycle is a well respected magazine on Buddhism and their
> issue has both pros and cons for psychedelics and normally doesnot even talk
> about these substances.  Example of past users who are respected teachers
> include Andrew Cohn, Adi Da, Jack Kornfield, Ram Dass, Trungpa Rinpoche,
> Allen Watts and many others.  I believe that because you go to a more
> "ethinic" organization

SGI is not an "ethnic" organization. There is world-wide membership (I
believe 128 countries is the latest figure) and well over 100,000
members (sorry, don't have latest accurate figure) in the US. Our SGI
(Soka Gakkai International) world leader, president Daisaku Ikeda,
received the United Nations Peace Medal. This buddhism is not just for
Japanese, but for all people. I am not asian, by the way. My district
leader is black; there are gay members, old members, young members, rich
and poor members. It is a religous practice benefiting all kinds of
people.

> you have therefore not been exposed a wide variety of
> spiritual seekers

How do you know what I have been exposed to?

>, seekers who have chosen to join Buddhism though it is
> foreign to their culture

Most SGI and Nichiren Shoshu buddhists in our country (USA) did not come
from buddhist or oriental families. They experimented with buddhism and
adopted it as their religion because it worked for them better than
their previous religion did.

>(most S.G are asian in my area).  In my own
> experience I have found that many, many teachers and practicioners have used
> psychedelics sometime in their life.  What is the big deal?.  Only in
> ignorance can you not understand the connection.

The big deal is the misrepresentation of fact.  I do not judge people
who want to use psychodelics. That is their business, as long as they
don't get behind the wheel of a car or airplane right after they do it.
I even grant that it is and has been a useful tool for some people in
developing spirituality. A further agree with you that there may be some
buddhists who have used these drugs for spiritual purposes.  HOWEVER, my
concern is that I do not want to see SGI or Nichiren Shoshu buddhists
lumped in with these other buddhist sects mentioned in your Tricycle
magazine. Such drugs have absolutely no place or function in SGI or
Nichiren Shoshu buddhist practice; they are not part of the doctrine or
practice; they are NOT NEEDED.  Enlightenment comes from chanting
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to the Gohonzon (sacred scroll- see SGI website for
more info), not from getting high on drugs. If individuals want to
experiment with drugs, that is their business, but it is NOT part of
this buddhist practice.
-
> Excerpt:"In 1966, Ralph Metzer introduced Timithy Leary to the German-born
> Lama Anagarika Govida, who lived in the Himalayan village of Nanital.
> Govinda had requested a LSD session, which Matzner provided.  For the first
> time, after 30 years of meditation, the lama had experienced the Bardo
> Thodal in its living sweating reality."
> (note:the lama was an internationally respected teacher and authority
> already at this time)
>         I am not saying that it is part of the practice of most practicing
> Buddhist
-
But, that was, perhaps unintentionally, what you implied in your post,
and the reason I am responding this way.

> (although it is used by a significant number), but that it has had a
> profound influence on a significant number of people and on the history of
> eastern religions in general.  Sokkai G's site does not address this point

Of course not, because doing drugs is not part of the religion

> and your personal experiences mean nothing.

Oh come on, my personal experiences mean as much to me as yours do to
you. My own experiences and those of the very many buddhists, both
leaders and general members, I have known or come in contact with over
my 27 years of practice, as well as my study of buddhism over this time
period, qualify me to state without any doubt whatsoever that
psychodelic drugs play absolutely no part in SGI or Nichiren Shoshu
buddhist practice. Period.

(I don't know any gays so they
> don't exist).  I suggest you look up the Tricycle issue.  Then you can
> debate of a position of knowledge.

Firstly, you havn't told me where to "look up the Tricycle issue." But
that's not the point. My position is not in speaking about ALL buddhist
sects. Your position implied a relationship with buddhism, in general,
and illegal drugs. I want to make it clear that no such relationship
exists in the SGI buddhist practice and I don't want people reading your
post to possibly misunderstand and think that if they practice buddhism
with SGI they are going to be doing drugs.

--Bob

9 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996
From: hbarrettATNOSPAMix.netcom.com (Holly N. Barrett, Ph.D.)
Subject: little substance, big God

My k-awakening was spontaneous, with a long history of unitive,
transcendent experiences going back to childhood.  Contrary to the
conventional wisdom (if "conventional" isn't too absurd a concept in
this arena!), I find alcohol occasionally propels me into K rather than
grounding me.  But sometimes alcohol shuts me down and I will be able
to feel the energy only after a period of total abstinence.  As some
wise person posted on this list several months ago, "K IS INTELLIGENT."
 The K seems to have its own wisdom about when it will be felt or not.
I take this as an expression of divine will.  The drug in my limited
experience that simulated the K experience most closely was psilosybin.
- My professional experience tells me that people of different
temperament prefer different drugs (ditto sex, work, spending money,
etc. etc.).  So it seems to me that we yearn to be knocked off our pins
so Something Else will emerge.  For some of us, nature has provided
substances or activities that get us THERE.  I think this is all part
of living in a material body and that the emphasis should be put on the
THERE that we have gotten to, rather than the transit.  I happen to
love Chardonnay (you might like weed, phone sex or righteousness --
doesn't matter really) but we have all been given this immeasurable
gift of seeing the bigger picture and what we do with THAT is so much
more important that how we first got the vision.

Love,
Holly

10 Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996
From: Paco
Subject: re: Drug Zone
-
Howdy pardners,
	I saw a poster in a techno music magazine the other
day; a trance DJ named Stevie was using an electric vacuum
with a hose extension to clean his toilet, while wearing a
crash helmet.
	"Illicit" drugs are very powerful substances; it seems
like the more aware you become, the more you realize that.
I used to smoke pot frequently, ate mushrooms, and took LSD
several times. I have not taken any drugs in 9 years, although
I will drink a few German or Mexican beers if I am really kickin' it.
	Personally, I am very directed and centered as far as
what I want to acheive and how I live my life now. Those drugs
don't serve any purpose for me, although I have heard some
compelling arguments about these issues. Some people believe
that psychedelic drugs will open up the human mind and cause
mankind's next great evolutionary leap...that apes or neandrathals
began eating magic mushrooms long ago, or were even given a
similar substance by space aliens, which caused them to begin
using tools, talking etc. Maybe we are just like apes compared
with future humans (?).
	For myself, no way on the drugs. I like to have maximum
processing power available for programming and other endeavors;
sex and money are the drugs for me. Tell me, how high would you
feel if you could hop in a limo right now and fly anywhere in the
world tonight, and do anything you wanted, and only return when
you felt good and ready? Like hit the airport and say, pick a
card, any card...Lufthansa to Finland tonight, or a Concorde to
Malaysia...drugs are all in your mind. Meditation is better, because
you always improve, there's no "lows" afterward.
-	If I took anything, it would be mushrooms, and only if I
was really in a strange mood. It takes major balls to take LSD
unless your a high school kid or something. later

			Paco

11 Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996
From: "B."
Subject: Re: online energy exchange

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Steve Elsner wrote:

> 	I've been kicking this around for a long time now, but nobody
> seemed to pick up on it. However, there now seems to be an interest so I
> shall act!
I AM INTERESTED! Just tell the time, and because I live in southern
europe you should tske the time zones.

> 	I've also been kicking around the idea of a website, which would
> help facilitate a "web of energy".  Think of it.... group energy can be
> quite powerful and anyone who joins would benefit.  Plus, since we would
> be physically spread out, the earth would get a nice blanket of energy
> flowing about. Any ideas?  Write me!

Great idea. I can over 5-10 M of web space but in Bulgaria (assumin slow
connection :)

                              /
-                   __       //
                   -\= \=\ //
                 --=_\=---//=--    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[...]

12 Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996
From: Peter Norton
Subject: Re: >>>>>Vampire Games.

Tim Duna wrote:

> Actually, I'd like to see them get their socks knocked off too.  I believe
> it's the 'Amazing Randi' who organized that whole deal.

I doubt any physical experiment such as videotaping
'invisibilty' will succeed.

Really, all that would be necessary is something far
simpler and more common:  just transmit K
via shaktipat to all the scientific researchers in the
experiment.  Then watch them try and write it up.
Their language would become indistinguishable
from traditional mystical
poetry and none of their peers would listen to them.
They would be seen to have 'gone native' and would
be ignored by all the serious objective scientists
who have to worry about their reputation and funding.

It is a perfect, built-in protection mechanism against
K getting into the wrong hands.

The Amazing Randi has done us all a great service by exposing
Uri Geller's charlatanry, to the point where Geller's only
objection to Randi's charges is not that Randi says he is
a conventional illusionist, but that he is not an _original_
illusionist!  If only Randi were more explicit in saying
what kinds of phenomena he still has an open mind about.

This is the common problem, see Carl Sagan's
'The Demon Haunted World'. They are so rabid in debunking,
they never take a breath to say what phenomena _may_ be valid.

Anyway, for some ongoing Real Science into psi etc.
check out the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research
center (PEAR):

http://www.princeton.edu/~rdnelson/pear.html

methinks this is the kind of research that will
make a dent in the dominant paradigm.

As much as I would love to see
Mistress Angelique on NOVA collecting the
prize money .... sigh, if only, if only

cheers

"Scientific Proof for the Existence of God
will soon be announced by the White House!"
-Da Free John
(and no one will notice)