1 Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996
From: Christopher Williams
Subject: pain & sex energy

Coming from the perspective of traditions very different from that of k
I found the posts on pain and sex interesting, but limited. Without, I
hope, upsetting anyone who may well have felt themselves to have been
dragged over (red hot) coals by their experiences with k may I suggest
the question of the causes of pain is more complex than the posts
suggest.

Energy blockages which can be intense enough to be mistaken for physical
illness are the most obvious cause of pain, I suspect we all recognise
this even if for the most part all one can do is wait until the blockage
burns it's self out. In this group I would include the head pains and
others which were the subject of a recent post. The only cure I found
for these was either to switch polarity with my meditations or do a
short diet of heavy foods, especially red meat, if one can accept it. By
switching polarity I mean yin or negative energy meditations, for
example breathing out and holding your breath instead of breathing in
and positively charging your self. This level of pain is reasonably
obvious and experimentation often finds a solution, or you just accept
it and carry on with life.

What is not obvious is where the energy centres get involved. Energy
centres by their very nature are energy and while this energy may
produce problems when moving around the body it cannot be said to be
blocked when in it's own centre. However the centres do it seems grow or
evolve and in this they appear to be linked to ones life style and
circumstances, karma, if you like. I know within european traditions
that those who start out on the path find that during the first two
years or so their karma seems to speed up and all sorts of things happen
to them. After that, for most people things settle down or they leave
whatever group they have joined and get on with life. It is as if all
the experiences one may have expected in a normal life span are speeded
up when you turn to your inner being and say Hit Me. The pain that goes
with this kind of karma is, I believe, part of the whole package and
cannot be avoided.

The other side of energy centre activity is their effect on emotional
development. The long slow melancholy moods that come out of nowhere
are, for me at least, the gate to inner growth. This kind of emotional
pain should be welcomed as it is ones key to being able to withstand the
often run away effect of a centre when it becomes fully active. I can
give two different examples. I friend of mine had an experience so 30
years ago which has coloured his whole life, as part of the growth from
that time he found one day that he was bored, something which had never
happened to him before. No matter what he did he could not shake the
boredom, so he gave up trying, he elected to be bored with everything
all the time. After a couple of weeks the mood went and has never
returned. The point is that our inner life needs, for whatever reason,
experiences which are dark as well as those of light, pain may be part
of this.

The energy from any one of the centres can flood your sense of identity,
your ego or I.  While this feels great, knowing how to bring your self
down to earth is also important if one is not to be carried away by the
energy of the moment. One way to do this is to sink into the appropriate
negative mood. My example is that I sometimes get swept along by what I
think of as the energy of the heart centre. To slow things down to a
point where I can be objective I will sink into a melancholy which to me
is bitter/sweet. The point is this gives one the means to balance light
and dark and keep one's self pointing more or less in the direction one
wish to go.

One last comment on sex. If k is part of evolution may I point out you
are not your body. The physical evolves through evolution and sex is
part of that line of growth. The inner you just lives in the form
provided and grows through experiences which I would suggest need to be
integrated some how into your core. Traditions from some parts of the
world direct one to develop in a Body of Light, an inner vehicle with
which to allow the conscious part of you a different mode of expression,
this I suggest is the evolution to which k belongs, not the physical
body. In India the technique to do this is called among other things the
Backward Flowing Method. In other words one turns one's energy inward to
feed the formless, I fail to see how one can spend ones energy twice and
feed both form and formless modes of evolution at the same time.
Christopher Williams

2 Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996