1 Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996
From: Mike Parr
Subject: astanga yoga and K

I would like to talk about the K relevance of astanga yoga
and also wondered if anyone else was using similar approaches.
-
In conventional hatha yoga (yes, there are lots of different
approaches
Astanga yoga uses many of the poses from Iyengar yoga,but here (imho)
are the main differences:

there is a standard sequence of poses- you dont get into thinking
...hmm, what shall I do next... ?

'Gaze points' are associated with each pose.  e.g a point might
be - navel, or tip of nose, or 3rd eye....

A gentle lower abdominal contraction is (attempted to be)
maintained throughout the session, and so also is 'mula
bandha'.  In astanga, this is not a strong contraction, and
the idea is that eventually it homes in on the perineum.  This
is taught from the start, unlike some other approaches.

Does it 'work' ?  Well, I found other yoga and K approaches difficult
to stick to, and astanga has given me an intro to the kind
of energy flow and chakra stuff involved;

 but I think that each person might need an
approach that suits *them*.

   Mike

2 Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996
From: Jim Cook
Subject: Quija Boards

I am just wondering if Quija Boards are a good source for information ?
I have gotten a lot of info from the Quija but a friend of mine recently
told me that him and his wife were using the board one night and
suddenly, they were both lifted off the floor and thrown against the wall.
Any thoughts or info on Quija Boards ??

Jim
-

3 Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996
From: SYL228ATNOSPAMaol.com
Subject: Re: Foggy Brain

I had this a lot before and after "K".  In my case it was related to
allergies etc, and particularly too much salt in the system.  I did not have
high blood pressure, in fact it is quite low.  But it did cause me to retain
fluid around the brain as well as other areas of the body.  Taking potassium
helped.

The salt/potassium levels in the body affect every cell, and are maintained
by the adrenals which are affected by "K".  Recently my levels have returned
to normal, but it is 4 years into the process for me.

Love Jule

-
4 Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996
From: hbarrettATNOSPAMix.netcom.com (Holly N. Barrett, Ph.D.)

I've had periods of this from hormones, k, or most likely a circular
interaction between the two.  This was most disturbing to me at first
because I was very prideful about my crack memory and analytic skills.
But a friend mentioned that I might have to loosen my hold on that sort
of thinking ability (and my ego about it) in order to deepen other ways
of knowing.  She was right.  The short-term memory loss that increases
with age is a blessing because I so often lose track of what I was
ruminating about, drop it, and return to the present!

But I think Jule's remarks about checking out metabolic reasons should
come first.

Holly

-
5 Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96
From: John Halonen
Subject: Colds and Foggy Brain

Hello there,

It's amazing when you get a cold how the ego tries to take over.
Always wanting to wallow in the pain.
-
I'm coming down with something, and I look up saying what was I thinking.
Poor me.  But It's just a cold.  Now that I'm writing this I'm smiling.

You get that foggy brain with a cold and the ego says, "Hey, here's a little
room for me to move into and take control".

And all of the sudden I start paying attention to what I'm really doing and
this fogginess disappears.

Thanks for listening.

Peace and Love,
John Halonen

6 Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996
From: lodpressATNOSPAMinetworld.com (Larry Newman)
Subject: Re: Grounding
-
John Halonen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What exactly does grounding do?
> I thought it meant you have positive energy flowing in you,
> but when you ground yourself the energy flows within and without you, or
> through you.
> And it is greatly enhanced.
> I have heard of closing your chakras so energy depletion doesn't happen, but
> never for grounding.
> But I'm still young :)
>
> I would assume that possitive energy comes from above, you are the neutral,
> and the earth energy is your ground.  You don't necassarily have to touch
> the earth to be grounded to this energy. You just need a focus.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thanks for starting this ori. :)
>
> Peace and love,
> John Halonen

John,
When I use the word ground, it means to me balance and sit centered in
Divine Will. This way neither positive or negative charges will cause a
reaction. In mediation much of the energy exchange from cosmic to soul
is around centering and bringing awareness and consciousness into the
conscious mind. In this process transformation occurs. This is the way I
move with light, always absorbed into the dance of spirit. Gloria

7 Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996