1 Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996
From: tejkohliATNOSPAMgiasdl01.vsnl.net.in
Subject: The Guru Thing

Hi Karol Ann! (Sorry, this one is longish)

At 02:51 PM 8/21/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I used to feel exactly the same way, making judgments against people
>who charge a fee for a service.  I don't think that way anymore.
>Money is condensed energy, a feedback mechanism that tells me how well I
>am succeeding in my reality.  It speaks to abundance and to love (not
>self-indulgent love) but self-nurturing love of comfort and security in a
>physical world.  Like the Money Tree that is in essence, the gifts of the
>Goddess who loves us without condition and never has wanted us to be
>without anything that brings us joy.  Yes, there is the danger of
>becoming trapped in the physical manifestations, but that is what this
>world is all about -- overcoming the traps.  There is no nobility in
>poverty anymore, unless one chooses to live the austere life for their
>growth.  But it is not a mandate that we have to deny ourselves in order
>to be spiritual -- at least, not for me.  I guess we each have to make
>that choice.  Karol Ann

With due respect to you, I disagree with the notion that it is OK to ask
money in return for "spiritual favours" or "spiritual gifts". Actually I
am totally against pedalling any spiritual stuff. I am glad that you have
made the above point, because I can say the following about the way I
feel about it.

Is not "spirituality" a lot like "love"? In fact is not true and pristine
spirituality only about LOVE (and for me that includes sex whereever
applicable). The essence of spiriuality is love. So by your reasoning, it
should be OK to charge for giving love, any kind of love!

What would be the scenario in that case? You would start expecting money
for loving. Then for loving a person, would you not get hooked to
receiving money for it? Would that scene be the same as love without money?
-
Is not the same true of spirituality, which is another expression of
love. Love for any human being, love for the SELF, love for existence.

If commercial gains become involved in it, then it becomes commercial
organization. All commercial organisations, by their very nature, seek to
maximise their gains. There is a tendency to create a need in the
consumer. It may want you to depend upon it for spirituality, since it
depends upon you for survival. That is their nature. I would like to add
that I have nothing against commercial organisations. AS a matter of
fact, I like them. They are always true to their nature. They typically
have no notions of puerile purity. They are not hypocritical. They know
what they want, and they openly go for it. They are in tune with our
needs and instincts better sometimes than we are. I actually feel that
being involved with any commercial organisation is great for one's
spiritual growth. They ground you and make you real and earthy - the
roots. However, lets leave out commercial organisations in the sector of
spirituality. They will only tell you "You don't need to learn to walk on
your own. It is too much pain and effort. Why don't you use our latest
model in comfort crutches. They are made of aluminum, for lightness and
strength. Plus they have a nice padding to absorb impacts.... all with
three years warranty."

The second category are those spiritual organisations or individuals
who dont ask for money etc. Ostensibly they are there to help you and ask
nothing in return. But is that really true? Do they really ask nothing in
return, or is it just a front? Are they not living off disciples
contributions? Well, therein lies the problem A spiritual organisation or
individual that survives on the basis of disciples will subtely come to
depend upon the very disciples that it seeks to help. If it depends upon
them, then it will want to hang onto them. That is the nature of things.
Then it will like the disciples to depend upon it. And thats the end of
that story for many.

There is however, a third category of individuals, like the master in the
Himalayas as described in the Swami Ramas book "Living with the Himalayan
Masters", who lives aloof, who has to be sought out, who wants nothing in
return, and who has a lot of wisdom to partake of. It was in reference to
this kind of guru that I had posted earlier.  I would say that even with
this kind of guru or master, one should be careful and examine. This kind
of a master can be very seductive to persons on the spiritual path.
However, he/she can help in one of two ways - either by words of wisdom,
or by some supernatural intervention of energy. The words are there,
anywhere and everywhere, for one to pick from - one has to be open only. The
universe, the existence will send the right message. As for as supernatural
intervention of energy is concerned - there can be none more powerful
than the energy itself, and it resides within- watching everything, and
it is not a dud, inert thing!

Peace and LOve,
Tej

2 Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996
From: Pat Welsh
Subject: Mudras (YJ excerpts, Part 2)

THE *PRANA NADI* MUDRAS

"The *prana nadi* mudras are technically energetic mudras (*prana* = life
force, *nadi* = channels) that work with the breath.  They channel breath
and prana into the lungs and torso in particular configurations..."

6. *Kanishta Prana Nadi* Mudra (activates the lower abdomen and back and the
lower lobes of the lungs): "The tips of the thumbs and forefingers form a
circle.  Keep other fingers completely straight."

7. *Madhyama Prana Nadi* Mudra (Activates the middle chest and back and the
middle lobes of the lungs): "With the tip of the thumbs and forefingers
touching, fold tips of remaining fingers into center of palm."

8. *Jyeshtha Prana Nadi* Mudra (activates the upper chest and back and the
upper lobes of the lungs): "Place thumbs in middle of palms, wrap fingers
around thumbs.  Place hands face down."

9. *Poorna Prana Nadi* Mudra (activates the entire torso, front and back,
and the upper, middle, and lower lobes of the lungs): "Middle finger
knuckles touch together and back of hands turn downward toard floor."

-

3 Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996
From: Pat Welsh
Subject: Mudras (YJ excerpts, Part 3)

THE *MERUDANDA* MUDRAS
-
"The *merudanda* mudras are also energetic mudras (*meru* = Mount Meru, the
spine; *danda* = staff), but their use brings prana into deeper regions of
the central nervous system.  They do not so much channel the actual
breath--like the *sharira* and the *prana nadi* mudras--as they do the life
force itself..."

10. *Adho Merudanda* Mudra (energy comes into the base and lower third of
the spinal column, nervous system, and chakras): "Curl fingertips into
palms, extend thumbs out straight--do not let them bend."
-
11. *Merudanda* Mudra (energy comes into the middle third of the spinal
column, nervous system, and chakras) "Outer edge of palms and little fingers
rest on thighs.  Thumbs remain straight and extended."

12. *Urdhva Merudanda* Mudra (activates the upper third of the spinal
column, nervous system, and chakras): "With backs of the hands resting on
the thighs, thumbs face outward, pointing away from each other."

-

4 Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996